Friday, April 12, 2013

Batter Up!!!

The following post is what we call a digital visualization.  As soon as I read about this assignment, I knew exactly what I wanted to do.  A few years ago (more than I'd like to admit), one of my co-workers and I were talking about this huge contract that Alex Rodriguez signed with the Yankees.  I was in my first year of teaching, and we decided to figure out how many years it would take me to make his one year salary.  At $28,000 per year, it was pretty depressing when I found out how many years it would take.

The following is a visualization based on average national teacher salaries.  I played around with many of the  graphing tools that were offered up to me in the assignment.  However, when all was said and done, all I did was use simple graphing tools on Google.  There you have it!

The injustice of it all!  


*
Alex Rodriguez, who is the highest paid player in major league baseball, is set to make $29,000,000 this year alone.  


That is more than the president of the United States.  Crazy, huh?  To put this in perspective, I thought it would be interesting to compare this salary to that of teachers.  Here’s what I came up with.




Salary in a Year



Where’s the teacher salaries?  See that tiny sliver?  




So how many years would it take these teachers to make A-Rod’s one year salary?




One more stat. . .



I find these numbers alarming, especially since professional athletes are taught by fine teachers.  What are your thoughts???

3 comments:

  1. I just had a similar conversation with colleagues on why I do not support professional sports! Why would I show spirit for something that America twistedly spends this much money on? A GAME! This topic makes me angry each time I think about it, and your comparison of his salary to a teacher salary drives it all home (pun intended!). Nice job of using visuals to show the absurdity of the astronomically high salaries of professional athletes in America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a little disheartening... Not that we all didn't already know this, but the visual really puts it in perspective- especially the circle! I also found it interesting to see how long it would take to make the equivalent of what he makes in a year. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason,

    I wrote a similar thing after viewing Dale's data visualization project, but it seems to be particularly relevant when discussing visual learning versus audio learning. Students often need to see the aspects you are discussing in class and by presenting information in several different formats, students will better understand the message you are trying to get across to them.

    ReplyDelete